Thursday, June 23, 2011

"The Hobbit" pictures released, preciousssssssssss

Oh hobbitses, Entertainment Weekly has released three pictures from the set of "The Hobbit," and they are preciousssss! As in, I want to keep them for my own and spend lots of time looking at them until I waste away into a skinny, dirty creature wearing a loincloth, gollum gollum.

The pictures are here. The first one shows Bilbo Baggins (greatest little hobbit of them all, played by Martin Freeman) looking at a long piece of paper while dwarves sit at his kitchen table. The second shows Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen) lounging around smoking pipeweed and looking like a badass. The third shows Martin Freeman talking to director Peter Jackson.

The first half of "The Hobbit" saga comes out December 14, 2012 - only 540 more days! How will we make it that long? I DON'T THINK I CAN HANDLE IT!

Seriously, though, I am super excited about "The Hobbit" - it's one of my all-time favorite books - and I am thrilled that Peter Jackson will be giving "The Hobbit" the big-screen treatment, since he brought "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy to life. But I have to admit that I am just a teensy-weensy bit nervous that "The Hobbit" is not going to be quite as awesome as it could be. I sort of worry that it will suffer from the same thing that the LOTR trilogy suffered from - too many lingering shots, too much slow-mo, too many ethereal shot of pretty elves and just a slight bit of dragging that happened at times. I applaud Jackson for taking out things that would have slowed the movie down (though seeing Tom Bombadil on the big screen would have been awesome because Tom Bombadil is the shit!) but a few scenes got a bit too overwrought in the trilogy, I noticed when I recently rewatched the movies. It's not that LOTR isn't made up of three of my favorite movies of ALL TIME, because it is, but oof, I think "The Hobbit" is a bit of a lighter tale and I hope it doesn't get too heavy and serious in Jackson's hands. Peter Jackson, I know you can be super hilariously fun - I've seen your early, goofy films. Don't forget the levity in "The Hobbit," PLEASE!

Other than that, I am pee-my-pants excited about this movie and I look forward to seeing more photos and hearing more about it and generally just overdosing on information about it until I whip myself into a J.R.R. Tolkein frenzy that culminates in dressing up like a hobbit and seeing the movie while dressed as a hobbit as many times as the movie theater will allow before they call the authorities. Not that that's happened before. OK, just that one time. Don't judge, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment