Friday, May 31, 2013

Kel's Romance Reviews

So Enchanting by Connie Brockway

Greyson Sheffield has made her career by exposing spiritualists as frauds, including Fanny Walcott's husband and by association Fanny. Fanny Walcott would like to be normal, but actually has some supernatural power to influence animals. And things happen as you would expect.

This book is kind of hard to blurb in any way that makes sense without spoiling the things that make it most fun. Connie Brockway has a similar style of writing to Julia Quinn and Eloisa James (the three have co-written two books), but with a very different voice. Her voice seems to be a bit more contemporary, which I don't mind. Some people have a problem with anachronistic language, but I do not and really think it makes it sound a bit fresher.

The story itself was fun. I wasn't quite sure where it was going and enjoyed going on the ride. I thought the main characters were awesome and really fleshed out. I also liked the contrast between the main couple and the secondary couple. All four main characters were distinct and unique and fun in their own right. I highly recommend!


The Earl is Mine by Kieran Kramer

The Earl is Mine is the second of the House of Brady and I did not like it much. Pippa has been in love with Gregory forever. Gregory is in love with Pippa, but he has a deep dark secret that he can't tell anyone because he promised and OMG ANGST!

There was a lot that I liked about Pippa, but I didn't like her relationship with Gregory. I couldn't ever get a read on if they were good or terrible for each other. Neither really said what they meant and I thought a lot of the drama was forced. I saw no reason that the two of them couldn't be together since they both loved each other. And Gregory was not very likable. Meh.

I have read all of Kramer's books and this is the first that I haven't liked, so I am still excited to read the next book in the series!


The Naked Marquis by Sally MacKenzie

After the Naked Marquis I only have one more Naked book to read and that makes me so sad. Charles Draysmith has inherited his title after his older brother is killed and therefore must marry. He has known Emma, the vicar's oldest daughter, since she was 6 and he was 10. Since he has to marry, he figures Emma will be a good choice because he likes her and really would like to have sex with her. Emma is extremely naive and has never thought about marriage really since she has raised her younger sister for the past 17 years. She does not take kindly to Charles's proposal. Mostly because he does it with no romance at all and focuses on the practicality and how much he wants to bed her.

And that pretty much sums up the two of them in a nutshell. Charles really does like Emma. And thinks she is lush and thinks she would be a great mother. Emma is a bit spazzy. She has no idea what happens between men and women. This is the only part of the book that bothered me...Emma is from the country yet knows nothing about sex and pregnancy. However, that extreme naivete makes for a rather nice plot point, so I was ok with it.

What I have enjoyed the most about this whole series is that they are all connect. James from the Naked Duke and Robbie from the Naked Earl are best friends with Charles, so they are hanging around. And Meg, the heroine of the Naked Gentleman, is Emma's sister. Much fun! I highly recommend any and all of MacKenzie's books.

No comments:

Post a Comment