Monday, May 13, 2013

Goodreads Review: "Two for the Dough" by Janet Evanovich

Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2)Two for the Dough by Janet Evanovich
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I have been in a mood for lightweight, fun books lately, and "Two for the Dough" completely fit the bill. There isn't much of real consequence here - there is no deep message - but "Two for the Dough," like One For The Money before it, is a lot of fun to read.

This book follows New Jersey bounty hunter Stephanie Plum as she tracks down Kenny Mancuso, who is accused of shooting his best friend in the knee. He's also a relative of Joe Morelli, a vice cop with whom Stephanie has a complicated relationship. Stephanie is also hired to find some lost caskets for an oily local funeral director.

These plot points lead to two great things in the book.

One is that we see a lot of Morelli. A part of me kind of hates Morelli, because he's an ass, but there are some moments of genuine sweetness in the book too that softened my stance toward him considerably (which is good, because I gather he continues to show up in Stephanie's life and, therefore, more books). And since Stephanie knows exactly what kind of guy Morelli is, I don't have to worry about her getting a broken heart over him.

The other great thing in "Two for the Dough" is Stephanie's Grandma Mazur, who accompanies Stephanie to a lot of funerals throughout the book, and generally wreaks havoc at the funeral homes. She is absolutely hilarious throughout the entire book and adds a lot of levity throughout. It's nice, because there are some dark moments in this book.

I really enjoyed "Two for the Dough." I liked getting to know Stephanie better, and I continue to like her more and more. She does some pretty reckless things throughout the book, but she also has a lot of street smarts and shows that she's not stupid. She's a tough cookie, and I like that in my book heroines, especially when they're trying to catch murderers and hanging out with jerky guys like Morelli. She is also incredibly hilarious - I laughed out loud many, many times.

"Two for the Dough" made me hungry for more Stephanie Plum adventures. They may not be deep, but they sure are fun to read!

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment