Monday, May 20, 2013

Kel's Romance Reviews

Three books to review, two that I liked, and one that I did not care for. On with the reviewing!

Loving Lady Marcia by Kieran Kramer
Loving Lady Marcia is the first book in a series called the House of Brady. Yes, it is like the Brady Bunch. In short, the plot of this first book is that Marcia fell in love with a guy who seduced her, told her they would get married, and then left to go to America, blaming his brother for sending him. Marcia ends up as a headmistress at a school. She also meets the brother, Duncan, who she blames for sending her love away. He is, of course, fascinated by her.

There is more to the story because Duncan is the father of a bastard boy (who isn't seen much, but is a fairly nice addition to the story) and Marcia is fighting to get her position of headmistress back after an old school rival who owns the school fires her.

In general, I really enjoyed the book. It was fun and not terribly slutty. My only problem was that by the end Marcia was willing to give up her dream for Duncan. Not cool. But still, it wasn't enough for me to dislike the book, just a slight annoyance because that is totally not what I would have done in her situation.

The Rules of Seduction by Madeline Hunter
Another first of a series. Which I am really looking forward to reading more of, even though I really didn't care for this book. Hayden Rothwell, as far as Alexia knows, ruins her family, but hires her to be his cousin's governess and his aunt's companion. Obviously, he then seduces her and she falls in love with him. As you do when someone has destroyed your family.

To be fair, he actually was saving Alexia's cousin from being hanged, but she doesn't know that. I had a hard time with this book because I could not figure out why she liked him. Or why she fell in love with him. Or why she married him. That being said, I think the rest of the series will be fun because I like a lot of the secondary characters, like both of Rothwell's brothers, who have books later in the series.

What a Lady Wants by Victoria Alexander
The second book in a series. Because I am a rebel. The series is about four friends who are all trying to put off marriage as long as possible. I enjoy the concept, even if it is not terribly unique.

What a Lady Wants is about Nigel Cavendish and Felicity Melville. Felicity wishes on a star for adventure. Right after, she sees Nigel climbing out of her neighbor's window, followed by gun shots. Nigel ends up on her balcony. Felicity decides right then and there that she wants to marry Nigel. And she sets out to make that happen. Though she doesn't want to trap him into marriage, she wants him to want to marry her.

I really enjoyed this book. It was clever and fun. And Felicity, though I don't necessarily understand meeting someone once and deciding to marry then, is strong and really goes for what she wants. Though she works with Nigel's sister at first to win him, she ends up just sort of telling Nigel her plan. This book was also really funny. Nigel ends up getting shot (accidentally), crashing through a door, and falling off a balcony.

I haven't read a ton of Victoria Alexander, but I am definitely going to make an effort to read her more!

No comments:

Post a Comment