Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Just FYI: I Will Be Spending December At The Movie Theater

I am not wishing my life away, I swear. But, seriously? I am getting kind of pumped about movies coming out in December.

Yes, there are still some summer movies I'm excited about - "Prometheus," "Brave," "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter" and "Magic Mike," mostly.

But instead of writing about those, I'm going to fast-forward six months, because December is going to be glorious! Take a trip forward through time with me ...

  • "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" - Dec. 14. I am a huge Tolkein fan (ask anybody who knew me in high school - they have embarrassing stories to tell), and "The Hobbit" started that fangirl love. It's a great story, and I'm thrilled that it's going to get on the big screen. In fact, I think it's actually more film-able than the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy - the story is smaller in scope and therefore more understandable. Plus, they're doing the cool-kid thing and splitting it into two movies like "Harry Potter" and "Twilight" did, which, let's face it, is really smart - even though "The Hobbit" is a much smaller book than any of the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy books, it still has a lot going on. It's just about impossible to make a book into just one movie and keep things in, so "The Hobbit" should have a slightly more leisurely pace that should serve the story well. Plus, is there an actor better suited to play Bilbo than Martin Freeman? I've liked him in movies here and there, but he really proved himself on "Sherlock," especially on the latest episode, where he broke my heart into a zillion tiny pieces. You'd better believe that I've been doing the fangirl arm flail every time I see a trailer, see a picture or think about "The Hobbit."
  • "Les Miserables" - Dec. 14. A trailer was just released today showing Anne Hathaway as Fantine singing "I Dreamed a Dream" and I realized that I'm really pumped about this movie, even though there are many musicals I like more than "Les Mis." (It got overhyped before I saw a touring company perform it when I was in college, so it was a slight letdown.) I just really love movie musicals, and in addition to being happy about getting to watch a movie musical, I am holding out hope that this musical will revive the entire movie musical genre so I can go see lots of movies featuring singing and dancing! Also, Hugh Jackman plays Jean Valjean, and Hugh Jackman is gorgeous and a fantastic singer. I would watch him sing the phone book, so you'd better believe I'd watch him in "Les Miserables."
  • Untitled Katherine Bigelow Project - Dec. 19. I loved "The Hurt Locker," so I'm excited and interested to see Bigelow's story about SEAL Team 6 hunting down Osama bin Laden. There's hardly any information about it yet - in fact, most of what I've heard has been controversy about how much information she's gotten from the CIA and Department of Defense while working on the movie - but I'm interested to see what she does with the story.
  • Django Unchained - Dec. 25. Merry Christmas to me! A new Quentin Tarantino movie! The movie follows a slave-turned-bounty-hunter (Jamie Foxx) who wants to free his wife from a plantation. In addition to Foxx, the movie also has Christoph Waltz (who I love from Tarantino's previous movie, "Inglorious Basterds") and Leonardo DiCaprio! I'm already trying to convince my parents that "Django Unchained" would be a perfect movie for the family to see on Christmas, but Mom is not convinced. I don't know how a Quentin Tarantino-directed Western could be anything but a perfect holiday film. I think I might be able to convince Dad ...
  • The Great Gatsby - Dec. 25. I'm embarrassed to say that I haven't read "The Great Gatsby" (yet - it's on my list), but I am already kind of thrilled by the trailer for Baz Luhrmann's big-screen adaptation of the book. Again, we have Leonardo DiCaprio - always a good thing - and Carey Mulligan, who looks right at home in the '20s. We also have crazy '20s decadence and eye-popping visuals and other crazy Baz Luhrmann-esque things, and since I like Luhrmann's previous work, I'm pumped. We'll see how I feel after reading the novel ...
What do you think of December's offerings? Are you as pumped as me?

No comments:

Post a Comment