Saturday, September 14, 2013

Julianne Moore in "Hunger Games" - No Better Casting Exists

Warning: "The Hunger Games" spoilers ahead. Do not read this blog entry until you've read the books. Don't worry, I'll wait.

It's been rumored for a while, but now it's official. Here is your President Coin:


I gotta say, I didn't have anybody specifically in mind for President Coin as the movies were being made, but now I'm pretty sure that Julianne Moore is the only logical choice. It's one of those castings that is so unbelievably perfect, I can't imagine anybody else being considered.

The thing I think that Moore brings to the role is a mix of charisma and grit, which is exactly what President Coin needs. Coin is the leader of District 13 and the revolution against the Capitol. She seems OK at first, and she's obviously quite charismatic because everybody follows her, but it becomes clear throughout "Mockingjay" that Coin is actually yet another villain for Katniss to defeat. She's willing to go to great lengths - scary, immoral lengths - to gain power and defeat the Capitol. In the end, she's scarier than President Snow, mainly because she's so convincing and charismatic. 

I think Moore will be a fantastic President Coin, but what do you think? Does anybody have any reservations about this casting news?

No comments:

Post a Comment