Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Fall TV Preview: NBC

It's almost that time of year - time to decide which new shows you'll put into your TV-watching rotation! I'll be previewing the new shows of Fall 2013 and letting you know what I'll be watching - and what I'll be avoiding like the plague.

Tonight, let's take a look at what ol' NBC has coming this fall ...



The Blacklist (Mondays at 10 p.m. Premieres Sept. 23.) A fugitive from the FBI turns himself in, but will only talk to one specific profiler about the criminals who he's trying to help them take down. I like the concept, and I love the star, James Spader, so I'm definitely interested. (If nothing else, it could give a good little glimpse into the potential of Spader when he plays Ultron in the new Avengers movie!) I think the show can sustain itself - there will always be more criminals and terrorists to catch - as long as the writing is strong. Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch!

Ironside (Wednesdays at 10 p.m. Premieres Oct. 2.) This remake of a 1960s TV show follows a wheelchair-bound police detective who solves difficult cases. I know that we probably don't need another crime procedural, but this one just might have the right twist. Also, it should get some word-of-mouth going because of its connection to the old series. The remake thing doesn't always work, but when it does, it can be pretty great. Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch!

Welcome to the Family (Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Premieres Oct. 3.) This sitcom follows a white family and a Latino family that are linked by a relationship and unplanned pregnancy. This has the potential to be a heartfelt comedy, as long as it doesn't fall into terrible, terrible stereotypes. The creator doesn't have a great track record - he's in charge of "Rules of Engagement," which I find to be pretty obnoxious - but nothing about it screams offensive at first blush. Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch!

Sean Saves the World (Thursdays at 9 p.m. Premieres Oct. 3.) Sean Hayes, of "Will and Grace" fame, stars in this sitcom about a divorced gay dad named Sean who tries to be a great dad despite other demands on his time. I kind of like the twist on the "Super-Mom" trope, although there is always a danger of falling into offensive stereotypes when you have a sitcom where a main character is gay. (See "The New Normal.") I hope that Sean is a more multidimensional character. I am also worried that Sean is going to be "Jack McFarland 2.0," even though it's been 7 years since "Will & Grace" went off the air. As much as I loved Jack, I hope there's a bit more depth - especially since Jack was comic relief, not a main character. Still, there's definitely some potential here! Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch!

The Michael J. Fox Show (Thursdays at 9:30 p.m. Premieres Sept. 26.) First of all, I'm pumped about Michael J. Fox making his triumphant return to TV, because he is a great actor. Secondly, the concept has some potential: Former news anchor Mike works to get back to work after giving up his career when being diagnosed with Parkinson's disease. Generally I'd roll my eyes, because I'd be afraid that the show would get too saccharine about the disease diagnosis, but I have a feeling that Michael J. Fox could really bring some sincerity and humor to the show and not allow it to stray into "Hallmark Movie of the Week" territory. I'll be keeping an eye on this one! Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch!

Dracula (Fridays at 10 p.m. Premieres Oct. 25.) Jonathan Rhys Meyers stars as vampire Dracula,  masquerading as an American entepreneur bringing modern technology to Victorian London but, in reality, seeking revenge. This show has enormous potential to be terrible. In fact, I'm sad to say that it probably will be bad. However, if they do it right ... it will be glorious! Jonathan Rhys Meyers has a lovely evil streak. The showrunner worked on HBO's Emmy-winning show "Carnivale," which I've never seen but I've heard was pretty good. Episodes are being directed by people who worked on some of my favorite British shows, including "Downton Abbey," "Torchwood" and "Law & Order: UK." And there is the potential for delightful Victorian shenanigans, hopefully resulting in a cool steampunk feel. Hope springs eternal that this show can really deliver, because if it's good, it's going to be good. Jen's Take: I'll definitely watch!

What new NBC shows will you be watching this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment