Thursday, January 5, 2012

"Star Trek" Sequel Just Keeps Getting Better & Better

So, I'm a huge "Star Trek" fan.

In particular, I'm a huge fan of original "Star Trek." The old TV episodes and shows starring William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, George Takei, Nichelle Nichols, DeForest Kelley, Jimmy Doohan, Walter Koenig and all the other wonderful supporting actors are amazeballs, and it will always be the best series of "Star Trek."

But, hey, I may be a purist but I know a good thing when I see it, and when I saw the 2009 reboot of "Star Trek," I loved it. If William Shatner couldn't come forward in a time machine from the 60s to play young Kirk again, I'm glad they got Chris Pine. Other than Nimoy himself, I can imagine no better person to play Spock than Zachary Quinto. And we Trek fans got pretty dang lucky with Karl Urban, Zoe Saldana, Simon Pegg, John Cho and Anton Yelchin, too.

So, anyway, I'm a total geek about "Star Trek," right? Well, guess what else I geek pretty hard. British pop culture. Seriously, BBC America is always on my TV screen, and I'm always Netflixing new series and movies from the U.K.

But there's not much crossover, right? I mean, there is Simon Pegg, who is a brilliant British guy, but there aren't any other awesome British actors in the new "Star Trek" franchise.

UNTIL NOW!

Yesterday, I nearly peed myself in excitement when I found out that Benedict Cumberbatch, epically amazing star of BBC's "Sherlock" has been tapped to play the villain in the "Star Trek" sequel! How perfect is that!? Cumberbatch is a great actor, and he also has a lovely otherworldly quality to him. (It's the cheekbones. Oh, those cheekbones.) He belongs in science fiction.

Then, today, my sci-fi geekery and my U.K. geekery hit fever pitch when I read that Noel Clarke, who played Mickey Smith on "Doctor Who," is ALSO going to be in the "Star Trek" sequel, apparently playing a family man with a wife and daughter.

Cue me doing an incredibly dorky dance! I'm the happiest little Trek/Doctor Who/U.K. TV nerd ever! The only way that this could be any more thrilling would be if someone like David Tennant joined the cast. (Note to J.J. Abrams: Don't do this. I would probably have an epic nerdgasm and die.)

The only problem now ... we have to wait aaaaaaaaaaaaall the way until May 17, 2013, to see the movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment