Sunday, November 13, 2011

Fun Fact!

A while back on my Facebook I was writing up a fun fact of the day. I got busy/bored and stopped doing it. But there has been a few requests for a fun fact of the day again (namely Jen and our mom told me they liked it and I should do it again). So, I am going to turn it into a blog feature!

Starting today, I will be posting a fun fact every day (or most days at least). Some will be just quick little fun facts, the kind that are great for knowing an answer to Jeopardy or Trivial Pursuit or to drop into a conversation during an awkward pause. Others will be longer facts that are a conversation in themselves.

If you have any fun fact themes you would like to see (e.g. insects, holidays, countries) or have a specific topic you want a fun fact on (e.g. porcupines, Pirates of the Caribbean ride, Kevin Bacon) leave them in the comments section and I will do my best to provide.

To start off, here are some of the past fun facts I have posted to Facebook and/or Twitter:

Blue Whales cannot swallow anything bigger than a grapefruit.

The author of Ben-Hur, Lew Wallace, was from Indiana and tried to turn Billy the Kid into an informant in exchange for a full pardon from his outlaw ways. This didn't pan out and The Kid went back to being an outlaw.

Certain types of squid can fly above the water for a short period of time, much like a flying fish. Some even move their fins/arms to forcibly stay in the air longer or go further.

The South Pole is colder than the North Pole.

And now a new fun fact so everyone can learn something today:

The cocktail Tremblement de Terre (Earthquake) is said to have been invented by Toulouse-Lautrec. In a wine goblet it is 3 parts Absinth and 3 parts Cognac and can be served on ice or shaken in a cocktail shaker filled with ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment