Tuesday, August 13, 2013

You should be watching 'Broadchurch'

Earlier in the year, the U.K. lost its collective damn mind over "Broadchurch." (Seriously, they broke records tweeting about the finale.)

Now, it's finally made its way to American shores. And guess what? You should be watching it.








I finally caught up on the first episode last night, after letting it sit on my DVR since the first episode aired last Wednesday, and it was just as wonderful as I'd hoped it would be.

"Broadchurch" is about the investigation of the murder of a young boy named Danny in a seaside town in Britain. It's investigated by the town's Detective Sergeant, Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman), and her new-to-town boss, Detective Inspector Alec Hardy (David Tennant). They have to reign in the press and keep the town going while they investigate the townspeople who might have murdered Danny.

I'm completely intrigued by the show. The first episode is a lot of setup, establishing Ellie and Alec and their somewhat adversarial relationship, as well as introducing, at least a little bit, a wide variety of townspeople who may have something to do with Danny's murder. The pacing is a little deliberate, but every moment is fascinating because the acting is so strong. I was especially impressed by Olivia Colman, who brings a lot of depth to the character of Ellie, despite the fact that she doesn't a ton in the episode. David Tennant is also very good, showing in every part of his being the weight he has to carry as he investigates the horrible crime and keep things very professional and by-the-book. And, like I said, we saw a glimpse of the other characters who may figure into the story, and I look forward to seeing what they bring to the table.

As excited as I was to watch "Broadchurch," since I'd heard it was great, I was still a little bit scared. It looked dramatic and emotional, and apparently by the end of the season, it makes everyone cry. And they're not wrong - it was tough at a few points in the first episode. But it's telling such an interesting story, with such wonderful acting, that despite the emotional toll - or maybe because of it, a little bit - I'm glad I'm watching it, and I can't wait until the next episode airs Wednesday night.

If you missed the first episode, never fear - you can watch it, ad-free, at BBC America's site. And then, tune in Wednesday night at 10 p.m. to see what happens next!

I have a feeling it's going to be worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment