Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Fall TV Preview: CBS

It's almost that time of year - time to decide which new shows you'll put into your TV-watching rotation! I'll be previewing the new shows of Fall 2013 and letting you know what I'll be watching - and what I'll be avoiding like the plague.

Next up in our preview of new TV shows ... CBS!


(Logo from Wikipedia)


We Are Men (Mondays at 8:30 p.m. Premieres Sept. 30) This sitcom follows the antics of a recently jilted man and three older divorced dudes he meets at an apartment complex. While I like main actors Tony Shaloub, Kal Penn and Chris O'Donnell, the previews make this look like another sitcom that prominently features men being stupid. I need to watch another sitcom about that kind of "hilarity" like I need a sharp poke in the eye. Jen's Take: Heck no, I won't watch!

Mom (Mondays at 9:30 p.m. Premieres Sept. 30?) This sitcom is about a single mother/recovering alcoholic, played by Anna Faris, who moves to Napa Valley to start a new life. I do like the idea of tackling some darker issues in a comedy - I think that the best comedy comes from realistic situations rather than wacky things that could never happen - but I don't particularly like Anna Faris. I don't love its chances. Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch!

Hostages (Mondays at 10 p.m. Premieres Sept. 23) As the name implies, this show is about hostages. Specifically, the family of a doctor scheduled to operate on the president is taken hostage by a rogue FBI agent, and the doctor is ordered to assassinate the president. I love the concept, but I'm not sure it will work as a TV show. How do you keep it going for an entire season? I suppose if it's something like "24," where things are happening practically in real time, it could work, but I see this as more of a movie concept. Still, it's based on an Israeli series, so it must have worked at least somewhat. I'm intrigued, at least - I do love a good thriller! Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch.

The Millers (Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. Premieres Oct. 3) No, this is not a small-screen version of "We're the Millers." (Darn.) This sitcom is about a man who is inspired to leave his longtime wife when his son gets divorced and moves into his daughter's house. There is a lot of potential for family comedy here, especially between generations, but, hmmm. I feel like my intergenerational family comedy quota is already filled by "Modern Family," and I can't imagine this show could be better. Jen's Take: Maybe I'll watch.

The Crazy Ones (Thursdays at 9 p.m. Premieres Sept. 26) This is the big new comedy CBS is excited about, because it stars Robin Williams and Sarah Michelle Gellar. Specifically, Williams plays an advertising genius and Gellar plays his polar-opposite daughter. I like that it's a family comedy, but with a workplace twist, and I love Sarah Michelle Gellar and support her being on TV again (I watched the ill-fated but delightful "Ringer"). I also like Robin Williams, and I think an eccentric genius might be perfect. I don't completely buy them as father-daughter, but I think it could work if they have good chemistry. Jen's Take: I'll definitely watch!

What CBS shows will you be watching this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment