Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Fall TV Preview: ABC's New Shows

It's almost that time of year - time to decide which new shows you'll put into your TV-watching rotation! I'll be previewing the new shows of Fall 2013 and letting you know what I'll be watching - and what I'll be avoiding like the plague.

First up, let's look at what ABC has on tap this fall.



Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Tuesdays at 8 p.m. Premieres Sept. 24.) One of ABC's biggest TV shows this fall is "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," the small-screen companion to the Marvel Cinematic Universe O' Cash. The show will bring back favorite side character Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) as headliner (despite his apparent death in "The Avengers" last summer) and put him in charge of non-superhero S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. The show is supposed to supplement the cinematic universe (including the upcoming Thor and Captain America movies), but the show is also supposed to stand alone for those people who haven't devoted many hours of their lives to sitting in theaters watching superhero movies. The great Joss Whedon, who directed "The Avengers" co-wrote and directed the pilot, and although it's unclear just how much of a hand he'll have in it going forward, I'm excited that Whedon is involved in another TV show. I'm also excited about more solid nerd fare being on network TV. Jen's take: I'll definitely watch!

The Goldbergs (Tuesdays at 9 p.m. Premieres Sept. 24.) It's a sitcom about a 1980s family. I'm not actually sure that there's any other twist than the fact that it's about an '80s family. However, creator Adam F. Goldberg has worked on some solid stuff, including the cult hit "Community," so I'm willing to give it a chance. That, and I might be too lazy to change the channel after "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." Jen's take: Maybe I'll watch.

Trophy Wife (Tuesdays at 9:30 p.m. Premieres Sept. 24.) A reformed party girl (Malin Ackerman) finds herself in the midst of crazy shenanigans when she ends up marrying a guy with three kids and two ex-wives. It sounds like it will be playing into a variety of lame stereotypes and feature boring manufactured drama between the new wife and the ex-wives and the bratty children. Lame sauce. Jen's take: Heck no, I won't watch!

Lucky 7 (Tuesdays at 10 p.m. Premieres Sept. 24.) This show, about a group of gas station employees who win the lottery together is based on a BBC show called "The Syndicate." The show is expected to follow a different character each episode, so there is potential for some good deep character drama. However, I tend to be very wary of BBC remakes, since U.S. rehashes are normally not nearly as good. Jen's take: Maybe I'll watch!

Back in the Game (Wednesdays at 8:30 p.m. Premieres Sept. 25.) This sitcom follows a former promising softball player who lost it all when she had a child, lost her scholarship and dumped her husband. She ends up coaching a team full of misfits who got cut from a Little League team, including her son. It definitely has some potential of wacky family misadventures, especially with her father, played by James Caan, on the scene. Still, it doesn't have any super great hook for me to particularly want to tune in. Jen's take: Maybe I'll watch.

Super Fun Night (Wednesdays at 9:30 p.m. Premieres Sept. 25.) This is the new Rebel Wilson sitcom, which is the exact reason I will watch it, without even knowing what it is about. The show follows three nerdy single women who hang out every Friday night. Wilson is a star and writer for the show, which is enough for me. Jen's Take: I'll definitely watch.

Once Upon A Time In Wonderland (Thursdays at 8 p.m. Premieres Sept. 26.) It's spin-off time! This show is a spin-off of ABC's popular fairy tale drama, "Once Upon a Time," and follows Alice, who doctors think is crazy because of the whole "going to Wonderland" thing. I'm super excited for several reasons. First of all, I love Lewis Carroll-based stories. There's something super cool about Wonderland, and as long as they keep the imagination going, I think the show will be super cool. Secondly, I like stories about people who aren't crazy, but everyone thinks they are because they see something or go somewhere that normal people don't. That is just a cool hook for a show. Finally, I really love "Once Upon a Time," despite the fact that it does get quite over-the-top at times, and I'm excited about having a spin-off! This show will have references, connections and cross-over episodes to "Once Upon a Time." Yay! Jen's Take: I'll definitely watch.

What will you be watching on ABC this fall?

No comments:

Post a Comment