Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Dancing With The Stars: Kel's preview

It is that time of year again. There is no more Bachelor to try to find reasons to avoid watching. The weather is getting nicer and Daylight Savings Time has started which means that everyone wants to be outside and not watching shitty tv shows. Which means that it is time for everyone's favorite shit-show Dancing With The Stars!

I was unable to recap last season because I worked on Monday nights. However, I don't have that pleasure anymore. So I will be back critiquing the dance technique of celebrities with very little experience at dance. Bitchy fun will follow! Jen and I will both be recapping for your viewing pleasure, so sit back, relax, and let the sparkles take over!

Your top twelve dancing monkeys (in the order of my excitement):

Gavin DeGraw, partnered with Karina Smirnoff: I must admit that I am legit excited about DeGraw being on the show. I have enjoyed his music since I first heard it when I watched season one of One Tree Hill. Being a musician should give him a bit of an edge as far as feeling the music goes. The only acting he has done was in an episode of Dead Like Me, so his performance remains to be seen. I think he stands a good chance of doing well, especially with Karina as his partner. She will whip him into shape, but good.

Jaleel White, partnered with Kym Johnson: I think this will be a really nice, sweet team. Everyone knows Jaleel White from Family matters, but I have seen him on tv more recently in Psych. And he is a really great actor and singer. I think he will get a lot of voter support, but I also think that he has some dance ability hidden in him.

Melissa Gilbert, partnered with Maksim Chmerkovskiy: Ok, so I'm just excited to watch Maks dance. Is that so wrong? I think this team could go either way depending on how receptive Gilbert is to his style of teaching. Maks is very hands on and aggressive and really expects his partner to pay attention and work hard. He does well with strong personalities as long as they, at the end of the day, listen to him (see Mel B and Kirtie Alley).

Marie Menounus, partnered with Derek Hough: I like Marie Menounus. She is definitely going to be the female hottie this season. And she is paired with perpetual hottie, Derek. Team Hot! I have no idea how Marie will do with performance or dance technique, but I know that Derek will take whatever she has and choreograph interesting dances to it.

Katherine Jenkins, partnered with Mark Ballas: Along the same lines as most of the cast, I have no idea who she is, but I know that Mark is awesome. He is always entertaining when he dances and he has thoughtful and inventive choreography, regardless of if the judges like it. He is like old school Derek, when he used to mouth off to the judges. What can I say, I like my ballroom boys a little bit saucy (see: Maks).

Gladys Knight, partnered with Tristan MacManus: This partnership seems silly. But in the best possible way. I haven't seen Tristan as a pro since I didn't watch last season. But from the clips and interviews I've seen he just seems really nice. Which is probably why he is partnered with Knight. I think that as long as she gets into it and acts the part, this could be a sweet team. Not sure they can go all the way, but I think they might do well.

Martina Navratilova, partnered with Tony Dovolani: This will probably be team tough! Navratilova is arguably the best female tennis player ever. And even though she is not in her athletic prime, she still looks fit. I think her biggest problem will be acting the part. Athletes tend to have issues with performance and form. Tony is a great partner for her to have because he will force her to use good technique, but he is also really nice.

Sherri Shepherd, partnered with Val Chmerkovskiy: This is a bit of a wild card. Shepherd is definitely a hard personality. But I have no idea what Val is like. I know that he is a fantastic dancer and a good choreographer, but Jen remembers that he may have been slightly timid? That could be bad with a strong willed partner like Shepherd. I am excited to see him on my tv screen because there can never be enough Chmerkovskiy in my life.

Roshon Fegan, partnered with Chelsie Hightower: I have no idea who he is, but I like Chelsie. She is adorable and always does really nice, age appropriate choreography. What I think of her, I think fun and cute, which is exactly what a Disney Star's choreo should be. So, sure. I can go along for that ride.

William Levy, partnered with Cheryl Burke: No idea who he is, but I love Cheryl. She is pocket sized, but bursting with personality and energy. She doesn't let her partners get away with anything and she has a reputation of doing well. I am always glad to see her dancing on my tv. And apparently Levy is hot, so he has that going for him.

Jack Wagner, partnered with Anna Trebunskaya: Not sure about them. I like Anna, but I don't recall much about her style of teaching. And I have no idea who Wagner is. Every time I hear Jack Wagner, I want it to be Robert Wagner, so he always makes me vaguely upset. Also, how great would it be if Robert Wagner was on DWTS?

Donald Driver, partnered with Peta Murgatroyd: Again, I don't know who either of these people are. He is sporty and that usually seems to work well on the show (see: Hines Ward, Warren Sapp, Emmitt Smith, Apolo Ohno). She is still new since she got voted off first last time. Hopefully she makes it further so we can see what she has to offer.

There you have the partnerships. A fairly low level of "Star" seems to be represented this season. I really only know who five of the twelve are. Usually I've at least heard of most of the people. Even though I will probably end up hating the show by about half way through, I am currently very excited to watch! Depending on what drugs the judges are on this season I may or may not skip them completely. Now, prepare yourself for the fringe and sequins that will be starting next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment