Friday, December 7, 2012

Let's Geek Out Over ... "The Hobbit!"

It is LESS THAN A WEEK before the release of  "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey," also known as "The Hobbit: OMG THE HOBBIT IT'S REALLY HAPPENING OMG OMG OMG!"

Here are ten reasons I am extremely excited about "The Hobbit" next week:

10. It's one of my favorite books! "The Hobbit" is a delightful novel. My grandma bought it for me when I was in middle school, and it was my very first trip into Middle-Earth. I read the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy in high school when the movies were coming out, and it was a wonderful place to escape and enjoy, and "The Hobbit" was my first foray into the world. It's also an easy, fun little read.

9. Gandalf is coming back, yo! I love Gandalf. He is one of my favorite literary characters, and he's played to perfection by Sir Ian McKellan, who I lovelovelovelovelove!

8. It has dwarves! Dwarves are cool! Pretty self-explanatory. Who doesn't love dwarves? They're tough and honorable, but also fun and funny.

7. I really loved the "Lord of the Rings" trilogy on the big screen! My friends from high school can attest - I was rather obsessed with the "Lord of the Rings" movies when they came out. I'm not quite so crazed anymore, but the movies still rank among my favorites, and seeing them rank among some of my favorite moments in the theaters (especially giggling at the hobbit orgy at the end of "Return of the King").

6. Howard Shore is doing the music again! I loved the soundtracks from the "Lord of the Rings" movies - they were epic and soaring, perfect for epic fantasy movies.

5. It's going to look fantastic! The "Lord of the Rings" movies look fantastic. They did a great job with the sets, costumes, computer effects, etc., and the technology has only gotten better with time. It's going to be great!

4. Legolas! It doesn't look like our favorite pretty-boy elf is going to be in the first movie, but he is showing up in the trilogy. I saw pictures! That is just plain fun, y'all.

3. Peter Jackson! After seeing and loving the "Fellowship of the Ring," I watched pretty much everything else Jackson has done, and he became one of my absolute favorite filmmakers. He is diverse, talented, creative and funny, and I am a big, big fan. I'm glad to see him make something else - especially something Tolkein-related!

2. Gollum! 'Nuff said, preciousssssssssssss?

1. Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins! Most. Perfect. Casting. Ever. Ever. Ever! EVER!!!! He's sweet, but has an underlying toughness, and he is absolutely adorable. Once they cast him, I knew it was going to be great.

Are you excited about "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey?" What are you most looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment